Sunday, July 28, 2013

happy hike day

I guess I should say happy birthday to Steve.  It’s his 35th birthday today.  We celebrated by having a birthday party in the evening.  We also went on a hike this morning.  Lori and Nate invited us, and after some coaxing, we decided we could go and take Hank along too.  I was a bit nervous, but he did great.  I guess next time, I will only haul one oxygen tank and not three.  Thanks Dad and Steve for carrying them for me. 

We did the Whit’s Lake trail.  I haven’t hiked that for years, and I have to admit, it’s because I am scared of bears.  Well, we did not get attacked by bears, or even see any, whew. (we were a loud crew between the younger kids howling like wolves and Hank crying every time they did). 

  IMG_3195

Everyone went along, minus Grandma who had to work on a report at the cabin. 

IMG_2997IMG_3000IMG_3014IMG_3009IMG_2986

Such a pretty hike.  There are so many wildflowers, wild strawberries and raspberries, and just wildlife. 

IMG_2993

No, the muppets (thanks Brian) don’t count as wildlife.  I just liked Bert’s tongue in  this picture. 

IMG_3033

We made it to the lower lake and it was nice and quiet. 

IMG_3041IMG_3049

And yes, this is bear country, so watch out! 

IMG_3196

I told you we didn’t see any bears, but we did see some bear tracks along the bank of the lake, but they looked old.  They are hard to see in the pictures.  Can you see them? 

IMG_3051IMG_3052

Since the kids were doing good and everyone was happy, we continued on to the upper lake.  It’s not too much further, but it does have some steep areas.

  IMG_3088

And we made it!  We stopped and ate a snack and explored a little bit. 

IMG_3075

We did see some osprey guarding their nest. 

IMG_3085IMG_3112

This is about how the way down went for Drew.  He didn’t want to walk, and he especially didn’t want to walk in the horse poop. 

IMG_3125

Thanks for inviting us to go Lori and Nate.  We had fun.  We will have to go more often. 

No comments: